This program was made possible by The Buhr Family and is in memory of Ann Buhr and Kathy Buhr
Studies show pets can be literal life savers, protecting against isolation and improving mental health. HSHV’s Friends for Life helps protect the bond between people and their companion animals, particularly for seniors and others struggling to care for their pet.
Essential Services & Supplies
Providing basic care for beloved pets can sometimes be challenging, whether due to an owner’s health, transportation issues or financial difficulty. We can help with:
- Dog and cat food
- Essential care items (collars, leashes, litter boxes, etc.)
We’re grateful to be able to repurpose food donations and gently used pet supplies from members of the community to others in need. We also welcome donations via our Amazon Wishlist (please save your receipt for tax purposes; we cannot duplicate Amazon receipts).
In addition to distributing pet food onsite at HSHV, we also work with other well-known organizations in the community to get supplies to those who need them. Our current partner list is below, with more to come. (Interested in partnering with us? Please contact us!)
- Meals on Wheels Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor
- Community Action Networks
- Manchester Family Services
For those needing an extra hand with a walk for their pup or litter box scooping, stay tuned! Soon, our volunteer team will be ready to assist— all to help keep pets in their loving homes.
Pet injuries and illness often cause seniors to give up their companion animals. We’d like to prevent this. Our full-service nonprofit veterinary clinic can assist through:
- Discounted service rates for senior pet owners
- Financial assistance (as available)
- Free cat and dog vaccine clinics (2024 dates coming soon!)
- Transportation assistance for appointments (as available, 10-14 days notice requested)
Short-Term Housing Help
Are you a senior in need of short-term boarding for your pet (such as during surgery) and have nowhere else to turn? Thanks to our wonderful foster families, we are often able to provide temporary boarding during challenging periods and emergencies. As much advance notice as possible maximizes our ability to help! Call 734-661-3550 or let us know what you need here.
Pet Behavior Advice
Behavior issues don’t have to be a reason to part with a beloved pet. Changes in behavior often have roots in medical issues or may be alleviated by providing enrichment or by making simple changes at home. We can help with:
- Online resources by our behavior specialists
- DIY Pet Toy Enrichment classes
Animal Visitation & Adoption
While HSHV’s adoption center is open 7 days/week to visitors and potential adopters, we know not all are able to make it here. So we’re bringing the joy of animals to those in the community, too!
- Free senior-to-senior adoptions
- Friendly animal visits to community centers, living facilities, etc
- In-shelter volunteer opportunities (including single day group projects)
- Senior focused programs at Tiny Lions